How to share media with students through your course's Echo360 menu
Before you begin...
This article assumes you have already connected echo360 to Canvas and that you know how to upload and store media in your Echo360 library.
What are other ways to share Echo360 content?
What are the benefits of using this method of sharing through the course menu...
- One dedicated space for all your Echo360 content.
This space is where automated lecture captures populate, so content is grouped with existing content if you capture lectures already.
- Ability to customize student download options and other Echo360 settings
- Passive features like Q&A, comments, and the ability to mark 'trouble' spots on a video to ask for clarification.
Method 1 of sharing media through your course's Echo360 menu
Within the course you'd like to share media, head to the Echo360 tile in the Navigation menu.
Here, you'll see scheduled classes and if they've already occurred they'll have class recordings associated with them.
Click on the 'New Class'* button on the right side of the page.
Note: Echo calls this a 'Class' but think of it as simply adding a piece of media per 'Class'.
Give your piece of media a name and select the OK button.
Note: Start Date and Description is completely optional and is not needed to share the piece of media.
Notice how the 'class' you created now populates on the list for the class. Now that we have created a class (or container) for your piece of media, we need to assign that class some media...
Find and click on the blue plus sign to the right of your newly named space, then select 'Add Video'.
You'll have two options to upload media... to learn how to upload media with these options, see the guide to upload media
Upload a file - Drag and drop files from your local computer to assign to the class.
Import from your library - Pick and choose videos from your Echo360 library to assign to the class
You can only upload and assign a single piece of media to a class line in Echo360
Once your selected file is uploaded, you'll notice a GREY play icon appear next to the blue plus sign on the line of your piece of media. This means your video is processing and will be available shortly. Depending on the length and size of the video, it might take a while to be viewable to the student or users in the course.
Note: All videos uploaded to Echo360 will automatically have Closed Captioning applied as well as a machine translated transcript associated with them.
After a bit, you'll receive an email stating 'Your video is online' and the play icon will turn green! This means it's ready to go and students (Student view pictured on the left) will be able to navigate to the Echo360 menu in your Canvas course and view the video at their convenience!
Note: To disable download, see the guide to remove that option.
Method 2 of sharing media through your course's Echo360 menu
Within the course you'd like to share media*, head to the Echo360 tile in the Navigation menu.
*Alternatively, you may click on the 'echo360' tile found within Cardinal Apps
Click on 'Library' in the upper left* of the echo360 menu to access your personal library.
*This area is your personal Echo360 library and only you can see the contents. Anyone else, students included, will see their personal libraries and nobody else's.
Find the video you'd like to share* in the Echo360 tile of Canvas. Click on the menu in the bottom right of the tile icon and select 'Share' from the dropdown menu.
*If you have no content or need to upload content, learn how to upload content to Echo360 or use Method 1 of this guide instead.
Click on 'Class' in the top menu.
Within the new menu...
- Select the desired course (the course you're wanting to share content to) from the dropdown menu.*
- Select the appropriate Term your course is active during.
- Select a section.
- Click on the 'New Class' option
*If you do not see the course you want to share content to, you might not be an instructor in that course. Contact the courses' instructor.
Underneath the 'New Class' area, complete the fields...
- Give the piece of media a name in the 'Class name' area. This should be the name of the piece of content being shared.
- OPTIONAL: Start Date and time and duration for piece of media. This is OPTIONAL because this isn't a real class, but rather a piece of media like a video.
- OPTIONAL: Give the piece of media a description.
- By default, the piece of media is set to be available immediately after you share it. Keep this default or if you'd like to set a specific date for the piece of media to be accessible choose the 'Date' option and select a date.
- By default, the piece of media is set to never expire. Keep this default or if you'd like to set a specific expiration date, select the 'Date' option and select a date'
- Select the 'Share' button once you're finished.
Finished! Now, your piece of media will show up on the home page of the Echo360 tile in Canvas for all users in the course. If they'd like to view that piece of media, they simply need to click on the 'Echo360' tile within their Canvas course.